Loom of Scattered Puzzles

I read The Good Earth in junior high school, and it imprinted quite an impression in my mind. Like the sole window in a darkened room, it allowed me a glimpse into 20th century Chinese culture. Despite my heritage, I grew up far removed from traditional Chinese culture, and The Good Earth was an eye-opening piece that detailed the trials and tribulations of life in an era long wiped from existence but still an integral part of the modern culture of China. I read The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck to learn more about the country of my forefathers in a time before modernization, and similarly, I chose to read The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan in order to learn more about the country in the time after modernization. I wished to determine the impact of the passage of years, and to learn more about the country that my from where my parents hailed. I also wanted a good story.

I was not disappointed. The book introduces the elements of mystery and adventure in the first chapter with a tantalizing search for lost relatives. It then narrows down into the narratives of each of the players at the mahjong table, giving the reader an intimate glance into the early lives of four women. Having described all of the characters judgmentally in the first chapter, this loom of stories aims to break the judgement previously imposed by the author. In addition, the backstories expose the vulnerabilities of the characters, allowing the reader to relate more to their sorrows and joys. I have just finished reading the story of the fourth “aunt”: Ying-ying, and with the loom all set up, I think that the author will weave all of the strings together and explain how the four “corners of the world” impacted the lives of each other, and how their stories thread into a greater theme.

I can’t wait. The history presented in this piece is also in-depth and riveting. I couldn’t help be be awed by the differences between Chinese and American culture, and the differences of the times. Patriarchy is a running theme is all of the “auntie’s” stories, and it is amazing to see how far society has come from the ages of the past; although patriarchy is still an institution, history has brought about great change. Even though I’m only a quarter through this book, I highly recommend it. Please excuse me while I steal some time to read some more.

One thought on “Loom of Scattered Puzzles

1. As someone who is Korean-American, I can completely relate to your blog about the difference between Asian culture and American culture. I feel like I can really connect to this book because of my Asian background, and because my parents aren’t full Americans like I am. I also really like the format of the book because it shares every characters individual stories before tying it all together. I’m excited of what’s to come, and hope this book will leave a positive influence on both of us 🙂